Category Archives: farm toys

A wagon for my Mamod TE…

Picked up this little John Deere farm wagon for 25 cents with the express purpose of turning it into an appropriate wagon for my TE. The biggest problem was finding and mounting suitable wheels, but this was fixed with a bargain yard sale purchase of K-Nex and Meccano bits. The Meccano bushings fit perfectly into the K-Nex wheels, which then fit onto Meccano axle mounts. I simply cut the old axles with bolt cutters…

 photo IMG_2283-640_zps0532163a.jpg

…then mounted the new wheel assemblies in their place…

 photo IMG_2284-640_zpsad1e63e8.jpg

 photo IMG_2289-640_zps1bade3ed.jpg

…making for a snappy looking combo for the next steam up in Jackson. Bending the hook on the tow bar down 90 degrees hooks it right into the loop on the spirit burner that protrudes from the scuttle box.

 photo IMG_2287-640_zps72ed31cf.jpg

Blessings, grace and peace to you and yours…

Mamod TE1a generator project…

Just wanted to see if it could be done…

 photo IMG_2153-640_zps70f6df13.jpg

Started with a Canon ball-bearing motor with a 3mm shaft that can readily accept Meccano and Steel Tec pulleys. I then slipped it into a 35mm plastic film can.

 photo IMG_2149-640_zps4d754f57.jpg

 photo IMG_2151-640_zps5a367483.jpg

 photo IMG_2152-640_zps44c2bbe0.jpg

With some 3/8″ brass strap I had, I fashioned a bracket that both cradled the genny and fit around the flange at the base of the smoke stack. I soft soldered it and, with a bit of filing and buffing, made a sharp looking piece that goes with the spirit of the tractor, and that does not alter the stock model either.

 photo IMG_2156-640_zpse11f6a9c.jpg

A bit of test fitting…

 photo IMG_2157-640_zps46dea42b.jpg

 photo IMG_2162-640_zpsf4a9260c.jpg

 photo IMG_2159-640_zps164b5bf2.jpg

…and mounting with 6″ wire ties secured with a tie strap gun, made for a nice secure mount, the straps adding an almost buckle-like detail in the finished work.

 photo IMG_2179-640_zps2a2f30d0.jpg

The large 1″ pulley used in the beginning pushed only 2-3 volts DC at full throttle. When I swapped to this 1/2″ one, I got up to 5-6 volts DC.

 photo IMG_2279-640_zps55910d46.jpg

By switching to this 3/4″ pulley AND running the drive band AROUND the flywheel, I was able to pull 15-16 volts DC, enough to run my model rains on quite nicely. Interestingly, the belt does not need a groove to stay on the flywheel, a bit of tech advice from a member of the Mamod forum.

 photo IMG_2275-640_zpsfe5f52e1.jpg

I even wired this Meccano/Steel Tec Ferris Wheel to run off of the genny. By wiring it the way I did, thru an accident of design, I managed to set it up so that it can run both forward and reverse off the battery pack, and the generator when set in the “off” position.

 photo IMG_2287a-640_zps4d306240.jpg

There is another project to go with this that I will post tomorrow.

Blessings, grace and peace to you and yours…